Media & Communications Associate (MCA)
JOB TYPE: Full-Time; Regular; Exempt
JOB LOCATION: New York City (Office-based position) **SEE COVID-19 NOTICE**
SALARY RANGE:$61,500 – $66,500 (Annually based on experience)
BENEFITS INCLUDE: Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance and AD&D; FSA; Commuter Benefits; 403(b) Retirement Plan with matching; Paid Time Off; Paid Parental Leave; Professional Development Assistance
National Advocates for Pregnant Women (NAPW) is a New York City-based 501c3 non-profit, advocacy organization that seeks to protect the rights and human dignity of all people, focusing on pregnant and parenting women and those who are most likely to be targeted for state control and punishment, including low-income women, women of color, and drug-using women. NAPW works to ensure that women do not lose their constitutional and human rights as a result of pregnancy; that substance use disorders and other health and welfare problems they face during pregnancy are addressed as health issues, not as crimes; that families are not needlessly separated based on medical misinformation; and that pregnant and parenting women have access to a full range of reproductive health services, as well as non-punitive drug treatment services.
Our work encompasses litigation, litigation support, and legal advocacy; local and national organizing; and public policy development, public education, and outreach. Two principles guide all NAPW activities: (1) to build bridges and align agendas across diverse public health, social justice, and civil rights movements, and (2) to leverage and connect local organizing and activism with national advocacy and policy work.
NAPW is seeking a Media & Communications Associate (MCA) to support the development and implementation of a comprehensive, multi-faceted communications plan, which includes message development, web presence, and social media to educate, motivate, and influence target audiences. The MCA will work across a host of disciplines and platforms to identify opportunities for communications engagement, and manage much of NAPW’s day-to-day communications operations, including website posts and digital content for social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube). The MCA will also help in developing and maintaining relationships with members of traditional and new media that cover reproductive justice/rights, social justice, and civil rights issues. The MCA will support amplifying the work of the organization and implementing a communications plan for NAPW at large, with a special emphasis on energizing our digital platforms.
The MCA reports to the Media & Communications Director and is an integral part of NAPW’s close-knit, passionate team devoted to advocating for the rights of people with the capacity for pregnancy.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
● Work with the Media & Communications Director to create and implement a comprehensive and strategic marketing, traditional media, digital media and social media plan to support thought leadership, develop greater awareness for NAPW’s work, and support the cultivation, retention, and stewardship of donors;
● Assist in drafting and delivering communications to relevant media targets, often under the demands of a short deadline;
● Work with the Media & Communications Director to respond to media inquiries, assess the value of a response, work with staff to schedule interviews, and assist staff in preparation for media interviews;
● Develop relationships with individual content creators at traditional and new media outlets that cover topics related to our legal work and advocacy;
● Collaborate with partner organizations, existing networks, and internal staff to identify audience engagement opportunities, including digital events, keynote presentations at conferences, panel discussions, etc.;
● Maintain and update media contacts database, track media interactions and interest, monitor media and oversee media archive;
● Manage administrative tasks for the Communications Dept. including coordinating communications meeting logistics and agendas.
Digital Marketing/Social Media:
● Create and implement innovative digital marketing campaigns that educate, motivate, and influence existing and new audiences.
● Manage NAPW’s website by creating and updating compelling digital content.
● Analyze existing social media accounts and design best practices and long-term plans to maximize user engagement on all platforms.
● Create and maintain a social media and digital content calendar that coordinates with the overall communications strategic plan, including ongoing campaigns, evergreen content, and rapid responses. Use social media scheduling software to streamline the editing process and ensure consistent communication.
● Draft content for posts and sponsored content on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Instagram and help shape NAPW’s online voice by creating a consistent tone and identity in all digital content;
● Create regularly scheduled email blasts in Constant Contact, event-related communications, and calls-to-action;
● Use Canva and related graphic design software to create effective, dynamic visual graphics for website and all social media accounts;
● Monitor social media accounts used by policymakers, national and partner organizations, local media outlets and personalities, and other influencers to stay up-to-date on developing stories relevant to NAPW’s advocacy;
● Assist in the creation and management of NAPW’s external-facing events. Work with staff when attending and/or executing special events/press conferences, including developing event communications.
● Manage outside consultants and contractors who provide such services as graphic design, video production, editing,
● Help support NAPW’s development efforts by assisting in drafting correspondence to donors and supporters.
● Assist with other organizational and communications activities as needed.
Minimum Qualifications include:
● BA/BS degree required in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations or related field;
● Minimum 2 years of experience and demonstrated success in media and communications and writing, managing and developing engaging digital content for webpages and social media platforms within a nonprofit advocacy setting;
● Demonstrated alignment with NAPW’s mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
● Demonstrated exceptional writing, editorial, and verbal communications skills and a proven ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences;
● Experience with social media analytics tools and translating quantitative data into useful, actionable insights;
● Experience working with vendors in the production of communications pieces and dissemination of news and information;
● Excellent collaboration skills, particularly in soliciting and incorporating critique and feedback from multiple stakeholders;
● Ability to step into an active role immediately with a proven capacity to work independently as well as collaboratively;
● Experience using CRM, website content management systems and email campaign technology, website & social media (specifically: WordPress, HTML, HootSuite, Cision, Constant Contact, Canva);
● Advanced-level proficiency in a variety of software applications, social media platforms (MS Office Suite, Google Analytics, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Vimeo, Instagram); Familiarity with or trainability on databases (e.g. Podio, SalesForce, 4D);
● Ability and availability to work non-standard hours as needed;
● Editorial background with a capacity for communicating brand messaging, share in NAPW’s core principles and values, and interest in and a commitment to reproductive justice, social justice, racial justice, women’s rights, human rights, abortion rights, and civil rights.
This Job Announcement is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. NAPW reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
THIS IS AN IMMEDIATE HIRE
REQUIRED SUBMISSIONS (MUST INCLUDE ALL ITEMS LISTED BELOW):
1. Cover Letter which must include all of the following elements:
a) Your personal and professional motivation for seeking this position.
b) A discussion of what makes you the ideal/best candidate for this position.
c) Explain how your skill sets and experience best demonstrate your strategic approach.
d) If relevant to you, the identities, perspectives, and experiences that you would bring to NAPW that are important to you and/or relevant to our work.
e) Indicate where you found this job announcement.
3. Two (2) Work Samples consisting of a case study of a digital marketing campaign you developed that includes metrics.
4. Three (3) professional references
INSTRUCTIONS: NO PHONE CALLS OR FAXES PLEASE.
All submissions must be sent via email only to: NAPWjobs@AdvocatesForPregnantWomen.org with the subject line: NAPW Media & Communications Associate (April 2021)
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
The work is primarily performed in an office setting and/or remotely, with offsite meetings and events. Occasional travel may be required. The incumbent must be able to read, write and interpret documents and perform highly detailed work. This is largely a sedentary position that requires the employee to sit, stand, walk, and bend, and may occasionally require moving files and other equipment. The Media & Communications Associate works full time, 40 hours a week, between the typical office hours of 10:00a.m. to 6:00p.m., Monday through Friday. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to pregnant people and qualified individuals with disabilities, including in the application process. If you need a reasonable accommodation to participate in the application or interview process, please send an email with the subject line “Reasonable Accommodation Request” to NAPWjobs@advocatesforpregnantwomen.org
Due to the pandemic, NAPW is at present a completely remote workforce, therefore this will start as a remote position. We will work with the selected candidate to ensure that s/he has the tools, equipment, and digital on-boarding to be successfully integrated into our remote work environment. All staff will transition to onsite when the office reopens.
National Advocates for Pregnant Women is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, gender, pregnancy, national origin, citizenship, marital or domestic partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, military or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. NAPW recognizes and values the benefits of a diverse workforce.
To apply for this job email your details to NAPWjobs@advocatesforpregnantwomen.org